The goal of the Nurse's Office is to support the educational process by promoting optimum wellness and working closely with parents/guardians, teachers and administrators; assess and evaluate the health needs of students; and to accommodate students with specific health concerns.
There are 5 ways a School Nurse benefits a school:
- School nurses improve attendance through health promotion and disease prevention and management. We perform health screenings every year for each student and follow-up with parents/guardians as needed. School nurses are an important liaison between schools, parents/guardians, physicians and community agencies.
- School nurses help improve academics by helping students stay healthy to remain in the classroom ready to learn by providing assessment and provision of initial care for illness/injury and providing medications and treatments to all students in need of health services.
- School nurses help save time by attending to the needs of students. The School Nurse participates in the identification, referral and health appraisal with the Child Study Team and 504 Team.
- School nurses help with staff wellness, manages the automatic defibrillator, and designates and trains others in the administration of epinephrine and glucagon for when the nurse is not present.
- School nurses assist with accountability by following State and Federal Guidelines in compliance with state immunization requirements, maintaining health records, and preparing for emergencies.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Looking forward to a great school year.
Karen Lukacovic, School Nurse